Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dear John

by Nicholas Sparks is the name of the book I finished today. No, I don't have time to be sitting around reading books. Usually when I drive to Tulsa I listen to books on CD. Last Thursday I almost finished the book. I was cleaning the kitchen today and decided to listen to the end while doing my monotonous chore. I think this is the last of his books I will read. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderfully written and keep you interested. I love the way the reader on the CD speaks...in that southern Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina draw. The Choice was the last audio book I listened to of Nicholas Sparks and the narrator was the same. I have seen all of the movies from his books, Message in a Bottle, A Walk to Remember and The Notebook. The problem is how heart wrenching they all are. It is like I need to have a box of Kleenex nearby while reading/listening.

Well, I absolutely hated the ending to this book. It was just too sad, but also at the same time made me feel like a horrible person. John did the right thing, but I don't think I would have done the same. That is what makes me feel so bad. I like to think that I would choose the right when given a choice. He just didn't deserve to have such a non-happily ever after ending. I think I'll stick to science fiction from now on...at least for the time being. :) Emily, did you feel the same way?

Reading...a good thing,
Shan

1 comment:

  1. I did. I stopped reading his stuff because it usually always ends up sad. I like unhappy endings sometimes, but when you get them so much from THE SAME author, its a little tiring. i don't want to read several books over a few weeks and be sad the whole time. i read true believer the other day, it ended well, but it had a sequel. i skipped to the end and found out the girl dies so i didnt read the sequel. (i always skip to the end of the book to see what happens. i can't help it. its a sick habit)

    ReplyDelete