Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Everything Counts

I woke up this morning with a Depeche Mode song in my head. Depeche Mode is a music group I adored in the 80's growing up as a teenager. I still enjoy listening to their songs of my youth. I can't say I like all of their newer more modern stuff. (Honestly I haven't listened to all of it.) It shouldn't surprise me that they are still around making albums and touring.

Anyway, so I pulled up rhapsody this morning and played the song that made me hop out of bed excited for the day. I really like the beat, but the lyrics aren't necessarily what I would say I "condone." It's funny sometimes going back to listening to songs I liked and sang along with. I listen to the lyrics and think, "Oh MY!" Then I feel real OLD and realize why some parents made a big 'stink' about listening to certain songs. As a parent now I can totally understand why you might not want your kids listening to a song saying, "lie to me" over and over. Fortunately my parents were supportive (thanks Mom & Dad) of my music choices. Not that they would always enjoy listening to what I listened to; but sometimes they indulged me by listening to what I liked in the car.

Even though I am way more conservative now than I was in my youth, (parenthood and life lessons have impacted this) I still feel as long is there aren't obscenities blaring and the music doesn't feel creepy then I will listen to it. Of course it goes without saying, if I like that kind of music. In this case, the Depeche Mode song titled, "Lie to me." I know who I am and I know what I believe. As long as my thoughts and actions don't begin to be affected then I think it's okay to listen to the song. Besides, like I said, I love the beat and the song just makes me want to dance around the house while I listen to it (most of their songs do.) In other words it makes me HAPPY! No harm done. Maybe if I listened to it like a hundred times a day it might begin to have an effect. But like I say to my children, "moderation in all things."

So I decided to try and find the official music video of this particular song on youtube and there isn't one. I did find their "channel" on youtube and enjoyed watching a few short interviews about certain favorite songs. (I would have totally loved this sort of thing when I was a teenager!) This little period of time while watching sent me into a sort of
'time machine.'
I was remembering my carefree days as a fun loving, music addicted teen. In this particular case, a Depeche Mode concert. While on youtube I found Depeche Mode's official website. I am completely excited to find a link titled Past Tours. This is so cool!!!! You can go and see the exact day of the concert you attended! I know I have my ticket stubs in some box in my attic. One of these days I want to find them and make a scrapbook page with all my concert ticket stubs on it! (of course!) Anyway, until then I have the date and place of one of the concerts I attended website: Thursday, December 10, 1987 Dallas | Reunion Arena. You never think you will forget stuff like this, but you do! (or at least I do...my husband can recall facts from his long term memory like no one else I know! Short term is another thing entirely...lol)

Music does have a significant effect on my mood and listening to Depeche Mode this morning while doing chores has brightened my day. I wouldn't even be ashamed if someone saw me dancing around the house. I'm feeling super grateful I can work in an environment where I can listen to what I want while working. I'm also thankful my DH approved of our speaker system throughout the house...I LOVE it and use it EVERY DAY.

By the way, you should have heard the way my son pronounced Depeche Mode the first time he read it in the car on our XM Radio display. It was hilarious! They don't really like listening to them. They say with a straight line on their lips, "You and your weird 80's music." And I just smile and say back, "Yep, that's me!" ;)

"World In My Eyes,"
Shan



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

No comments:

Post a Comment