Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Planes, Trains & Taxi's...Oh My!

We returned home last night from our NYC adventure. I am excited to journal about it, but not sure exactly where to start. Honestly I had many epiphanies from this trip. Due to my analytical nature, it was bound to occur.

My first visit to the city that never sleeps was the spring break of my senior year of high school. Naturally my memories came flooding back. Unfortunately I am much older than I was that first visit. I remember having the time of my life making cherished friends & memories. Additionally, I remember lots of people and LOTS of walking. That has not changed. However it does seem cleaner. I was grateful not to see so many homeless people as well.

Thursday and Monday were travel days. Hours spent in cars, planes, (oh how I wish we could have afforded a non-stop flight...3 kids and layovers, not a good mix) and taxi's. The best part of Thursday besides making it safely to NYC was having the opportunity to ride from the airport to our Hotel via limousine. We were wearily waiting in the very long taxi cab line and a private taxi co. man came up and offered us a ride to our hotel via Limo for the same price as a taxi. How could we refuse?! It was a blessing sent from heaven!

Friday we met DH's brother at Nintendo World. This was on my Son's list of places to go while there. The Today show set is right outside. We then were lucky enough to be seated at the last table at The American Girl Cafe for lunch. Afterwards my oldest daughter & I scored amazing tickets to Wicked for that night. Our next stop was to my brother-in-law's old workplace, Bluesmoke. He worked as a waiter there while attending culinary school. The food was beyond my expectations, southern cooking better than I have ever eaten.

OK, Wicked has to have it's very own paragraph. I heard from many of my friends how great this Broadway show was. It was not great at all...it was PHENOMENAL! I am a different person from watching it. Well, maybe that is a little dramatic to say, but it is so much more than I could have dreamed. It was fun to see K watch her first Broadway show and hear her laugh. She said she did not like the ending. I see her point of view but I disagree. I liked the ending. I want to say so much more about this but will save for another day.

Saturday was a whirlwind of Double Decker Bus rides touring the city, walking, window shopping and eating (very expensive) good food.

Sunday DH had to leave very early to take his shuttle to the start of the marathon. After getting ready that morning I found an envelope with my name on it. My sweet husband left me a note telling me he dedicated the first half of the marathon to his parents and the second half to me. This was definitely a very welcome and touching surprise; probably one of the most romantic things anyone has ever done for me.

While the marathon was going we ate at the famous Serendipity! If you know me, you know how much I love the movie, Serendipity. I was able to see where they filmed part of the movie. The place is small, but just as romantic as portrayed in the movie...definitely my favorite place by far. We had their famous yummy Frozen Hot Chocolate! :)

We met J between miles 25 & 26. He was on fire and had way too much energy for someone about to finish a marathon. =) That's what cheerleaders do for an athlete...bring out extra reserves of energy to keep going. The finish line was inside of Central Park. Needless to say he had a blast and topped his goal. He finished in 4 hours 54 minutes. It was a huge success!

Time to pick up the kids from school now. I'll post photos later.

"Back to life, back to reality,"
Shan

No comments:

Post a Comment