Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Terrible Poverty

My husband’s profession has brought about many moves for our family. Our last move (1/2007) took us to a charming little city of about 20,000. We have lived in a small place before and enjoyed the feeling of community & camaraderie. I usually don’t have a difficult time making friends wherever we have moved. However, this time it has been extraordinarily difficult.

Two of the good friends I've made here have moved away. I do have one good friend who has younger children than mine and we can’t get together as often as we would like. Plus I know she has other friends she likes to spend time with besides me. :)

Maybe people just don’t get together and do things here? I have tried to invite some girls to do things with me and something always comes up and they cancel. I try not to take it personally. But how can I not?

Staying at home without having other women to talk to or do things with every once in a while…well, it gets lonely. I recently posted a quote on facebook from Mother Teresa. “The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved.”

My husband came home and asked me if I was lonely. I asked him why and he said I don’t usually quote Mother Teresa. He just knows how I feel.

If it were not for facebook, I would feel incredibly lonely. I think about all my friends I have made through the years and still keep in touch with. They are friends whom I cherish and would be doing things with if we lived close by. I miss them.

Shan

2 comments:

  1. Dear Shannon,

    My heart aches for you as I read this post. I totally understand! I don't feel that way very much since we moved here, but I think that's because of my "small children". :) I DO miss hanging out with friends too, but it seems like life is so full of little things - like changing diapers and naptime - that I don't have time to think about it that much. However, I was VERY depressed a LOT after Beau and I got married, and I moved to a new place. It was one of the most difficult times of my life!!! I've struggled with being really down for different reasons here, but I agree with Mother Theresa! Loneliness is REALLY TERRIBLE!!! Just so you know, I really, really enjoy anytime we get together! I wish it was more!!! :)

    Love,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Shannon, I am so sorry that you feel lonely. I am glad that you have become friends with my sister and far-away friends with me. :) I will pray that God brings some more friends into your life.

    ReplyDelete