Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Where do I start...hmmmm. This book is brilliant. Stephenie Meyer is brilliant. If you love science fiction, you will adore this book. I have to admit, I was hoping for a little bit more romance. I am learning that I enjoy the "ooey gooey" love stuff in books. Once I got past that, I was hooked and loved the suspense. I don't know how she or anyone who writes science fiction comes up with... with this whole new world!?

The beginning had my mind reeling with curiosity. It was not as slow a start as I thought it might be. I finished the book last night. The end of the book has so many great quotes in it and I can see so much of her faith revealed. Maybe not everyone reading would see this. As usual it all depends on who you are, what you think about and your perspective.

There are many parallels to what our current world is like right now.

"From human times..."Man Burns Three-Year-Old Daughter to Death," the headline screamed at me, accompanied by a picture of an angelic blond child. This wasn't the front page. The horror detailed here was not so hideous as to rate priority coverage. Beneath this was the face of a man wanted for the murders of his wife and two children two years before the print date; the story was about a possible sighting of the man in Mexico.
Two people killed and three injured in a drunk-driving accident. A fraud and murder investigation in to the alleged suicide of a prominent local banker. A suppressed confession setting an admitted child molester free. House pets found slaughtered in a trash bin."


For this reason, I could see why the thought of GOOD aliens coming here to make our world a better place could be a remedy.

My favorite quote is this one:

"Perhaps there could be no joy on this planet without an equal weight of pain to balance it out on some unknown scale."
It reminds me of a these scripture verses:

"For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things." 2 Nephi 2:11
"...it must needs be that there was an opposition; even the forbidden fruit in opposition to the tree of life; the one being sweet and the other bitter." 2 Nephi 2:15
Hope this day brings you great happiness, even in troubled times.

Shan

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I meant to tell you I watched "The Ultimate Gift" the other day and it had a little thing about OUAF on there. Thought of you, it was weird how it was on there.

    ReplyDelete